What is Digital India?
- With the launch of Digital India programme, the government is taking a big step forward to transform the country into a digitally empowered knowledge economy.
- PM is expected to unveil various schemes worth over Rs 1 lakh crore like Digital Locker, e-eduction, e-health, e-sign and national scholarship portal.
- BharatNet in 11 states and Next Generation Network (NGN), are also a part of Digital India campaign.
- The programme includes projects that aim to ensure that government services are available to citizens electronically and people get benefit of the latest information and communication technology.
- The Ministry of Communications and IT is the nodal agency to implement the programme.
Apps for Digital India
- Digital India Portal, MyGov Mobile App, Swachh Bharat Mission App and Aadhaar Mobile Update App.
Vision Of Digital India
- Digital Infrastructure as a Utility to Every Citizen
- Governance & Services on Demand
- Digital Empowerment of Citizens
Pillars Of Digital India
- Broadband Highways
- Universal Access to Phones
- Public Internet Access Programme
- e-Governance – Reforming government through Technology
- e-Kranti – Electronic delivery of services
- Information for All
- Electronics Manufacturing – Target NET ZERO Imports
- IT for Jobs
- Early Harvest Programmes
Impact of Digital India by 2019
- Broadband in 2.5 lakh villages, universal phone connectivity
- Net Zero Imports by 2020
- 400,000 Public Internet Access Points
- Wi-fi in 2.5 lakh schools, all universities; Public wi-fi hotspots for citizens
- Digital Inclusion: 1.7 Cr trained for IT, Telecom and Electronics Jobs
- Job creation: Direct 1.7 Cr. and Indirect at least 8.5 Cr.
- e-Governance & eServices: Across government
- India to be leader in IT use in services – health, education, banking
- Digitally empowered citizens – public cloud, internet access
Benefits of Digital Locker
- Digital Locker facility will help citizens to digitally store their important documents like PAN card, passport, mark sheets and degree certificates.
- Digital Locker will provide secure access to Government issued documents. It uses authenticity services provided by Aadhaar.
- It is aimed at eliminating the use of physical documents and enables sharing of verified electronic documents across government agencies.
- Digital Locker provides a dedicated personal storage space in the cloud to citizens, linked to citizens Aadhaar number.
- Digital Locker will reduce the administrative overhead of government departments and agencies created due to paper work.
- It will also make it easy for the residents to receive services by saving time and effort as their documents will now be available anytime, anywhere and can be shared electronically.
- To sign-up for your Digital Locker, one need your Aadhaar number and a Mobile number that is linked to that Aadhaar Number.
What is National Optical Fibre Network (NOFN)?
- NOFN proposes seven lakh kilometers of optical fibre to be laid to connect 250 gram panchayats in three years.
- Public Wi-fi spots will be provided around the clusters after that and all villages will be provided with internet connectivity.
According to Communications and Information Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, “ten states including Maharashtra, Madhya Prasad, Rajasthan, West Bengal, Haryana and Chhattisgarh, are ready to roll out the NOFN to facilitate Digital India.