As the race for the White House nears the finish line, we bring you facts about America and presidential candidates Barack Obama and John McCain.
- If Barack Obama wins, he will become the first African-American president
- If McCain wins, he will be the first president from
- If McCain wins, Sarah Palin will be USA’s first female Vice President
- Nineteen of the 43 presidents have been Republicans; 14 Democrats
- The most states ever won by a presidential candidate is 49
- In 2000, half a million more people voted for Al Gore than for George Bush, but Gore lost
- This is the first election in 24 years without a Bush or a Clinton contesting
- Four presidents have won despite losing the popular vote
- $1.5 billion: Amount spent in this US elections, the highest ever
- If McCain wins he will be the oldest US president.