November 19, 2008
The analysts at Gartner say that 85 percent of 274 companies surveyed are already using open-source software, with the remaining 15 percent expected to do so by next year. The companies surveyed are end-user organizations from around the world; cost is consistently identified as the primary motivator for switching to open source (so much for the freedom of choice, though to be fair, some did mention OSS as a balance against vendor lock-in).
More revealing from the survey though, is the revelation that very few organizations have formal policies in place to protect against intellectual property violations, inadvertent or otherwise. As a result, Gartner says that the biggest barrier preventing the adoption of OSS has to do with area of governance. This includes issues like deciding which applications will be supported by OSS, as well as identifying risks in terms of supportability of OSS. This is important, as an increasing number of companies such as Google to Nokia are releasing open-source software.
To read more about this story:
– check out this article at ZDNet
July 4, 2008
Mozilla, developer of open-source Web browser Firefox, said on Wednesday it set a new Guinness World Record for the largest number of software downloads in 24 hours.
Over 8 million people downloaded Firefox 3 in the period following its official launch, the company said in a statement.
Key rivals to Firefox are market leader Microsoft’s Internet Explorer and Apple Inc’s Safari browser.
Mozilla is in a battle with Microsoft, which unveiled an experimental version of its Internet Explorer 8 in Las Vegas in April and has been looking to expand its presence on the Web.
Firefox 3’s additions boost security and allow users to run Web sites when they are not connected to the Internet.
Source:CIOL News Report
July 6, 2006
OpenOffice.org has warned of three serious security holes which could allow attackers to damage or take control of systems via specially crafted documents. The bugs also affect Sun’s commercial StarOffice suite, based on OpenOffice.
The first bug involves the handling of Java applets embedded in OpenOffice. Malicious Java applets can exploit the flaw to bypass ordinary sandbox security restrictions to gain access to system resources with the privileges of the current user.
A second bug, in the way macros are handled, allows macros to execute Basic code with full system access, and without any user notification, as soon as a malicious document is opened, OpenOffice.org said. “As a result, the macro may delete/replace files, read/send private data and/or cause additional security issues,” the advisory warned. “Disabling document macros will not prevent this issue.”
Thirdly, a bug in the handling of some XML documents can trigger a buffer overflow, causing the program to crash and allowing attackers to execute malicious code.
March 9, 2006
Open Source can play very important role in making India economically and technological strong. And this can not happen unless access to IT is easily available to Indians.
As we all know that, India has 888,000 educational institutions and 350 million children in the age group of 6-19.At the individual level, India's per capita income is Rs 20,862 ($474), while PC hardware costs Rs 10,000 ($227) and software costs approximately Rs 11,000 ($250). This means that the cost of hardware and software is more than the annual income of most Indians!
Open Source in India simply implies a 'radical' and 'fresh' approach to our burgeoning problems. Besides the Linux operating system, LAMP as a stack is also catching on in India. The Open Source development stack is becoming popular among students and developers in general due to its easy availability and widespread community support.
Click here to read more
February 15, 2006
Business week has a great article, Oracle's Open-Source Shopping Spree. In the article it talks about Oracle buying three different open source software companies, the biggest of which may be JBoss
February 8, 2006
How do firms compete with open source?
What resources become critical in managing their growth?
What strategies do they adopt to co-exist with dominant proprietary software firms?
How do they interface with communities of practice to exploit network externalities? What strategies do they adopt to lock-in developers?
Find out more here
Do you have more questions to add?