LinkedIn is a popular networking site with hiring authorities and is very effective to find information security work by building professional relationships and joining affinity groups and associations.
LinkedIn is a more professional site that people use to showcase their skills and grow their professional network, as opposed to their personal network.
Ways to maximize LinkedIn:
- Update your profile using your resume as a guide;
- Build your network through your email address book, former classmates and former employers;
- Establish context when sending LinkedIn invitations;
- Seek out and give recommendations;
- Find out where people with your background are working
- Make a target list of companies; get connected with these professionals;
- Spend at least 5 minutes or so daily, providing regular updates/commenting on topics, submitting links to your latest articles, blogs, etc;
- Join relevant industry associations and groups like- ISSA, ISC2.
Twitter describes itself as a service for friends, family and co-workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: “What are you doing?” Updating with 140 characters is simple, short and to the point. These updates are addressed as “tweets”.
Twitter is used to reach a much larger audience. People can also retweet user’s tweets. This can cause tweets to go viral and spread across the platform, giving users as much visibility as possible.
Ways to maximize Twitter:
- Follow people in your field to be connected and informed on industry news and trends;
- Connect your Twitter feed to LinkedIn so that your tweets can get included in your LinkedIn-“status updates;”
- Create an impressive follower list by posting regular updates-commenting on topics, sharing links to interesting articles, news, blogs, etc;
- Build your network on Twitter by following relevant groups, associations and professional lists.
- Utilize tools such as Tweetdeck and Jobdeck, which allows job seekers to search specific topics relative to an industry
- Make a Twitter list and add the companies you are interested in working for
- Utilize the TweetaFile feature to send your resume when needed
- Spend 15 minutes daily to post tweets and go through what others are posting in your field.
Facebook is the largest of the three networking sites. Originally used by college students, this has grown into a full fledged social networking site that is used today by working professionals and companies for networking, job searching, marketing and hiring activities.
Facebook is very strong in offering filtering tools that allows users to organize and segment groups.
Facebook is mostly used by employers to create a corporate image, including updating users with their business, hiring and marketing initiatives.
Ways to maximize Facebook:
- Organize Facebook privacy settings to ensure that professional contacts see only professional information;
- Utilize the ‘status update’ feature on Facebook to relate current employment situation and what you are seeking;
- Select Facebook applications and groups very carefully to include only those that offer professional contacts and guidance;
- Search for topics relevant to your industry and become fans/friends of the people who share them or vote for these issues;
- Join industry relevant sub groups like the United States Intelligence Community, Institute of Protection Specialists & Security Contractors to enhance visibility and build relationships;
- Create interesting headlines and ads by using the ‘advertise’ feature and link it to your bio;
- Look through the Facebook marketplace for relevant job listings;
- Utilize the “search” box at the top of the Facebook page to search for potential security job openings which can then be further filtered using the menu.